In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Mike, I'll pay back your effort in replying to this long thing by
>working up a patch for the "disklabel" manpage (at least) and, if you
>want, I'll CC you so you can veto things you don't like.  I do worry

At the risk of adding to the confusion, here is a less wordy
description of the various disk layouts. The term `dangerously
dedicated' seems to be used to refer to either options (B) or (C),
so I will avoid using that term:

(A) Normal sliced disk (assuming sectors/track = 63)

  sector 0:                     boot0 and the DOS slice table
  sectors 1..62:                unused

  <start of slice 1>
  <start of 'a' partition>
  sector 63:                    boot1
  sector 64:                    disklabel
  sectors 65-78:                boot2
  sectors 79-92:                'a' partition filesystem superblock

 Note that the disklabel, which contains a list of the partitions
 within a slice is actually contained within the space allocated to
 the first partition. To ensure that this does not get clobbered by
 the filesystem, the first 8k of every ffs filesystem is reserved for
 boot code and the disklabel.

(B) Dedicated format created by sysinstall

  <start of slice 1>
  <start of 'a' partition>
  sector 0:                     boot1 and the DOS slice table, where
                                the slice table contains one slice
                                (slice 1) covering the entire disk,
                                including sector 0.
  sector 1:                     disklabel
  sector 2-15:                  boot2
  sectors 16-31:                'a' partition filesystem superblock

 In this case, there is no boot0, and boot1 serves as the boot
 loader that is invoked by the BIOS. Here, all of the boot code
 is contained within the first slice and also within the first
 partition. Again, the 8k reserved at the start of every ffs
 filesystem protects the boot code. Sysinstall sets up fstab to
 refer to the partitions as e.g. /dev/ad0s1a (I think).

(C) Dedicated format using dummy slice

  <start of slice 4>
  <start of 'a' partition>
  sector 0:                     boot1 and the DOS slice table. The slice
                                table contains a single entry (slice 4)
                                that starts at sector 0 and has a size
                                of 50000 sectors, whatever the real disk
                                size is.
  sector 1:                     disklabel
  sector 2-15:                  boot2
  sectors 16-31:                'a' partition filesystem superblock

 This is like (B) except that slice 4 instead of slice 1 is used, and
 the size of the slice in the slice table is bogus. The partitions
 on such a disk are usually accessed using the compatibility slice
 names such as /dev/ad0a.

Ian