On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:45:58PM +0100, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:42:00PM -0600, Brian Henning wrote:
>
> > i am trying to download an iso image with lynx from a http site. i noticed
> > that lynx stores the file in the /tmp directory. the problem is my /tmp is
> > only 250MB but the iso is 500+ MB. What can i do in order avoid getting disk
> > errors while downloading this file?
>
> Use wget or curl instead of lynx. These utilities download the file via
> FTP or HTTP directly to the location of your choice, eg:
>
> $ cd /path/to/big/partition
> $ wget http://site/large.iso

Or use fetch(1) which comes built-in, and will pull down both http://
or ftp:// URLS.

Alternatively, if you would prefer to stick with lynx(1), just set the
TMPDIR environmental variable to a directory writable by you and on a
partition with plenty of space. eg.

    setenv TMPDIR ${HOME}/tmp

if you like tcsh, or

    TMPDIR=${HOME}/tmp ; export TMPDIR

if you prefer sh or bash.  You could set the LYNX_TEMP_SPACE instead,
which achieves the same thing.  LYNX_TEMP_SPACE is lynx(1) specific,
but most programs that use /tmp will abide by the TMPDIR setting.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way