On Saturday 16 December 2006 12:34, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 12/16/06, Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to run X ... or in some way gain access to
> > the display output on a remote box that has neither
> > mouse, keyboard, or console.
>
> Can you tell us what you really need?
>
> Try "ssh -X [EMAIL PROTECTED]" and running gui apps or
> even startx there.
Andrew,

"What I need" is a tall order :)

What I'd like is an understanding of how X can be used for remote connections,
such as is described here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html#AEN6864

I'd like to be able to work on the remote box in a graphical environment and
not have to mount_nfs the devices I need to work with ...

I'd also like to be able to start qemu on the remote machine with a Windows
client and be able to invoke "safe" mode.  I have a problem with a remote W2K
image that is 4Gig compressed, and it is going to take 12 or more hours for
me to get it copied to my local machine to fix it ... then another 12 hours
to copy it back out there.

There are probably some switches that I can use in qemu that I may discover
over the next 12 hours, but an understanding of how X can help might actually
save me some time.

I've used this "ssh -X" that you mention. This works fine for "userland"
programs, but in order to troubleshoot my particular issue I'd need to be
logged in as root.  When I try to "su" remotely to run the command I get:

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I might try logging in locally as root and see what happens ....

But in the long run I think that if I could understand how to grant myself an
actual X session on the remote box then I could figure out how to do this and
potentially other stuff.

Thanks for any information you might share.

lane