On Sunday 17 December 2006 00:40, Bill-Schoolcraft wrote:
> Good work Jonathan,
>
> As usual with fellow FreeBSD users, any information about how you got
> past your problem is stuff Unix folks like me love to hear.  I actually
> save success stories like yours to help me out with wireless issues.
>
> I can only speak for myself but I'd love to hear how ya did it.

thanks!  i was quite proud of my efforts myself!  its a pretty good feeling to
complete a project in an area where i have  little expertise (especially when
(good) internet docs are few and far between).  after all the docs i read,
and bad advice i followed, bad decisions i made, it all boiled down to a
pretty simple recipe:

1) install net/iwi-firmware

2) add this to loader.conf:
# Wireless Network - Intel 2200BG
if_iwi_load="YES"
wlan_acl_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_xauth_load="YES"

3) add this to rc.conf:
ifconfig_iwi0="DHCP WPA"
iwi_enable="YES"
iwi_interfaces="iwi0"
iwi_mod_iwi0="bss"

4) create and populate /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
network={
        ssid="myssid"
        psk="mypass"
}

reboot, rinse, enjoy!

one big mistake i made, was building world up to 6.2-RC1.  there was one good
article about installing freebsd on an ibm t42 (found it on google), but it
didnt have any info on getting wireless to auto start.  after i had wireless
manually up and running initially, i then built world, and updated.  next
boot, firmware and modules would not load.  i had tweaked some other things,
so i backed those changes off, and worked round and round until i decided to
just do a quick reinstall.  this time, i didnt use 6.1-RELEASE, but i did
6.2-RC1.  same behavior, and this is when i figured out that the only time it
really worked like the web page depicted, was when i was on 6.1-RELEASE.  so
i tried cvsuping to -p11, and things still worked fine.  this is the only
laptop i have (thus, my only wireless computer), so when 6.2 comes out, ill
be pretty nervous about upgrading until i read that everything i kosher with
iwi- support.

cheers,
jonathan