Ian Smith wrote:
Hi all,

bit of a long saga, and a (by now) humble question ..

I reinstalled php5-5.2.0 from its package, after having to deinstall
php 4 and reinstall 5 after the only major glitch on a portupgrade -aPP
on a 5.5-STABLE system upgrading old ports, mostly from 5.4-R days.
... cut

What do I need to do to get Apache to execute mod_php5 on .php files?

Cheers, Ian
have you check output from /var/log/httpd-error.log ? it should type some php version if the php is working correctly or could you paste here the log from /var/log/httpd-error.log after you restart the apache ( assuming you install apache from port too )