On Dec 19, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Greg Groth wrote:

Is there any consensus on which method I should use to enable printing on my 6.1 desktop? The printer in question is an old HP Deskjet 500. I recall there being issues regarding cups in the not too distant past, and am wondering if I should look at something else. I'm running KDE (and sometimes Gnome), and looking to be able to print from Firefox, opera-linux, bluefish & openoffice. I would also like to set it up to be able to be a network share via Samba. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Greg Groth

Configuring Samba (aka "Windows filesharing on Unix") is pretty straightforward. See: <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/ books/handbook/network-samba.html>.
-Garrett

PS Would you happen to work at Greg's Garage for Imports in the Seattle area? Just curious..