[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 12:45:35PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
In the last episode (Dec 19), [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
Is there UNIX analog of ftp command pls, i. e. ls | less ?
Yes, "ls | less" is the way to do it.  You can add a shell alias to
make it easier to type:

  alias pls="ls -l | less"

That's for bourne-style shells (sh,bash,zsh).  for csh, you would use

  alias pls "ls | less"

Another way to do it would be to write a script named pls and put it in
your path:

  #! /bin/sh
  ls "$@" | less

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for response, but I know how to write aliases and bash scripts.
I just thought, I don't know the standard way.

Apropos,
  alias pls="ls -l | less"
is not a proper way, because of the command

pls directory

will give

ls -l | less directory

which is not what one want.
Put tildes (`) around the command alias maybe, or make the pls into a script?
-Garrett