I am currently setting up a FreeBSD box that is currently running some
ugly kind of Linux (Mandrakelinux?).  It currently has 350 GB of data
residing in Samba shares so I am thinking about exporting storage to a
NAS device.  So I am looking for advice or comments on this move.  I am
attracted by a small form factor device but I also know about software
that zombifies a normal PC into a NAS device (FreeBSD-based OpenNAS).
Another issue is an eventual backup to another portable device.  Does
NAS allow for this?  Any comments welcome.

Peter