[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> [Fistly, people wrote code in pure binary language. Then assembly were
>> invented and later they wrote higher level languages in assembly.]
>
>  > With whatever C compiler the gcc developer had at that time.
>
>  > It probably wasn't.  The first ever compiler was most likely written
>  > in assembler.  Later on the first compiler for a new language has
>  > usually been written in some other language.
>
> Yeah I knew that. Anyone know a good book on assembly language?

http://asm.sourceforge.net/ is a good site. I've used it a great deal in
the past. It has references to various Linux's and FreeBSD.

> The evolution of programming. Can someone give me a link?
I may be one of the missing links <chuckles>

I remember writing programs during the late 50's in binary on a form with four
columns.

Column 1 was to describe the purpose of the step. Column 2 contained the binary
code for the step. Column 3 used my own shorthand to illustrate the meaning of
the binary code in human language and column 4 described what happened to the
contents of the registers.
In the early sixties I wrote a small program that translated data rather like
the contents of column 3 into contents equivalent to column 2. meant I did not
have to remember the binary numbers but only use a consistent set of
abreviations. Saved me a hell of a lot of time I can tell you!!! I still had to
write the descriptions.. and get the whole lot punched into 80 column cards
begore it was of any practical use.