On 12/31/06, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I was running FreebBSD 5.x until a few days ago at home on a little shuttle
cube server with a celeron processor when my hard drive appeared to develop
multiple problems and finally died.  I had a western digital external usb
hard drive attached to the server that I used for daily backups.  So I got
a new hard drive and installeed FreeBSD 6.1 on it.  I have plugged in the
WD external usb drive and ran:

dmesg
camcontrol devlist

And the WD usb drive seems to recognized by the system and all is
well.  The WD usb drive has a freebsd partition on it already.  I want to
mount this drive so I can start to move backed up data to the new box, but
reading through the handbook and doing a google search, I'm still not clear
exactly how to do it.  I don't remember how I had setup the old box to
mount the drive as I had done it almost two years ago.

If someone can tell me what to do or point me in the right direction it
would be appreciated.  I really don't want to mess this up.

Assuming the drive you want to mount is /dev/da0, you
should first determine what slices and partitions it
has. It's very easy, just "ls /dev/da0*" for that. Let's
pretend you see something like this:

/dev/da0
/dev/da0s1
/dev/da0s1a
/dev/da0s1b
/dev/da0s1c
/dev/da0s1d
/dev/da0s1e

It might be a lot simpler or a lot more complicated. This
exact result means you have one slice (s1) and several
partitions (a-e). "b" is a swap partition, "c" represents
the whole slice, you only have to mount "a", "d" and "e".

mkdir -p /mnt/a /mnt/d /mnt/e
mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt/a
mount /dev/da0s1d /mnt/d
mount /dev/da0s1e /mnt/e

Use "mount -r" instead of just "mount" to make them read-
only (for safety).

Good luck!