On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 06:22:09PM -0600, Lane wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 12:22, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 10:16:20AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > I need any online complete manual on sh, not a brief as it is man
> > sh.  The last one doesn't describe many features both interactive
> > (command line editing, using history interactively, and many others)
> > and scripting (for example, conditional expressions).
>
> Here's a "brute-force" manual:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for each in `find /etc/rc.d`
>     do more $each
> done

Bonus points for not using cat, but it sounds like you're recommending a
manual you yourself haven't read.

    $ for each in /etc/rc.d/* ; do more $each ; done

Or skipping the unecessary logic:

    $ more /etc/rc.d/*

Sarcasm is mostly counterproductive, doncha think?

> If you need more than what is there then you probably need Kernigan
> and Ritchie's The "C" Programming Language, (still) available on
> amazon.com.

My guess is the OP is inquiring about scripting in general, but bash(1)
and readline(3) in particular.  If that's the case, the manpages should
be more than adequate; a reading of Mendel Cooper's Advanced Bash
Scripting Guide (available for free at a Google search near you) would
also be useful for a practical perspective.  Recommending the K&R book I
don't think is appropriate.