[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
How to configure switching between network interfaces?
I would like to determine how, or if, the following can be accomplished with FreeBSD. Configuration:
A BSD box setup with 1 GbE NIC and a 4 port 10/100 NIC
The GbE interface will have a static IP configured (192.168.10.x/24)
Planned Implementation:
  Along with possibly serving other data such as NFS or HTTP traffic, I would like the
interfaces to work as a switch. The GbE interface is a fiber optic NIC which connects to
the rest of the network 100 or so meters away. I plan to use the other 4 interfaces to
attach hosts to my network. I would prefer all of my hosts to be on the same subnet if
possible, otherwise I would just configure routing between the appropriate interfaces. My
question then is: Can the interfaces be configured to function as a switch would,
allowing the connected hosts to recieve DHCP and other traffic "routing" from
the fiber optic interface via the FreeBSD box. I know that in a basic configuration, 2
interfaces on the same subnet are not a best practice and would required special routing
information. I assume that somewhere this can be configured. A good shove in the right
direction would be most appreciated.

You can configure the interfaces together as a bridge and FreeBSD will act as a "smart switch"-- see the bridge(4) manpage or the Handbook for more info.

Note that this configuration might make sense if you wanted to impose firewall rules to limit cross-segment traffic while still letting the client machines all be on one subnet. Or you might divert all WWW traffic seen going by to a transparent proxy server.

But unless you plan to do something with this traffic like that-- if all you want to do is have a switch-- you'd otherwise be better off getting a 4-port gigabit Cu or Fibre switch then setting up a dedicated server for the task.

--
-Chuck