--On Wednesday, January 03, 2007 17:17:17 +0100 dick hoogendijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 03 Jan Paul Schmehl wrote:
Try this.  Edit /etc/ttys thus:
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

According to the kdm manual you should *not* use the "-nodaemon"
Why do you?

Where does it say that? According to the online docs (<http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/kdm/configuring-your-system-for-kdm.html>)
'For FreeBSD, edit /etc/ttys and find the line like this:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

and edit it to this:

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm"  xterm   on secure'

But that's not the same as saying "don't use -nodaemon".

According to the FreeBSD Handbook (<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html#X11-WM-KDE-DETAILS>)

'To enable kdm, the ttyv8 entry in /etc/ttys has to be adapted. The line should look as follows:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure'

If you detach the parent process, what happens when the child process dies? Will the parent respawn another child without initd running?

In any case, I did what the Handbook stated, because I trust that the FreeBSD developers know what they're doing, and that's what they told the guys that write the docs to use for kdm. Someone with more knowledge than I have would have to explain the technical aspects of that choice.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/