On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Kurt Buff wrote:

 > On 1/3/07, Ian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > >  > From: James Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > >  > > From: "Kurt Buff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[..]

 > >  > > I've got a directory with a large number of gzipped files in it (over
 > >  > > 110k) along with a few thousand uncompressed files.
 > >
 > > If it were me I'd mv those into a bunch of subdirectories; things get
 > > really slow with more than 500 or so files per directory .. anyway ..
 >
 > I just store them for a while - delete them after two weeks if they're
 > not needed again. The overhead isn't enough to worry about at this
 > point.

Fair enough.  We once had a security webcam gadget ftp'ing images into a
directory every minute, 1440/day, but a php script listing the files for
display was timing out just on the 'ls' when over ~2000 files on a 2.4G
P4, prompting better (in that case, directory per day) organisation.

[..]

 > >  > while read fname; do
 > > - >   if file $fname | grep -q "compressed"
 > > +    if file $fname | grep -q "gzip compressed"
 > >  >   then
 > > - >     echo -n "$(zcat $fname | wc -c)+"
 > > +      echo -n "$(gunzip -l $fname | grep -v comp | awk '{print $2}')+"

That was off the top of my (then tired) head, and will of course barf if
'comp' appears anywhere in a filename; it should be 'grep -v ^comp'.

 > Ah - yes, I think that's much better. I should have thought of awk.

That's the extent of my awk-foo, see Giorgos' post for fancier stuff :)

And thanks to James for the base script to bother playing with ..

Cheers, Ian