X X wrote:
Hello,
I want to have a home server on my network. I have a
pc with AMD Athlon xp 2200+ processor, 1gb ddr ram, 2-
500gb hard drives, 10/100 lan. I need it to serve
files to 5 computers. It has to allow remote access
from outside the network by administrator. It has to
allow me to serve 2 websites. It has to be a ftp
server. It needs to work with both windows and macs on
the network. It has to have the ability to run
automated backups to either internal hd (like raid
mirroring) or usb external hd. It will be connected to
the home network by wired ethernet. It will NOT have
to dhcp (router does that). Is there a way to set up
freebsd to work as this type of server? Thank you

The short answer; would be: yes. If your question was to ask how, that's where the long answer would come in as FreeBSD alone will not accomplish what you are asking for. You'll need several applications to run within FreeBSD to accomplish what you're asking, for example: Apache (for serving websites), Samba (for internal filesharing to windows), rsync/tar/dump/etc for syncing files to a backup drive (depends on how you intend to backup - but generally speaking dump rules).

I'd suggest you do some reading ahead of time, spec out what you want to accomplish and HOW you would prefer to do it, then ask any further questions as you come along. You should also read: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/ - It details HOW to get the best results from emailing this list. Your initial email titled 'will it work' is rather vague, and may be skipped over by many who could have answered your question.

Good luck, sounds like a decent project to start off learning to run FreeBSD with ;)

--
Nathan Vidican
[EMAIL PROTECTED]