On 1/4/07, Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Brett Davidson wrote:
> Before I start, I'm familiar with IPTables from Linux but am wanting to
> use FreeBSD as a firewalling router after seeing it in action on a
> heavily-loaded webserver. I like the efficiency of the TCP stack.
>
> Upon reading the handbook I found that I can have my choice of three
> firewalls; pf, iptables and ipfw.

> Against prudence, they wish to allow torrent connections to the inside
> lan and ICQ connections to both the Inside LAN and the Wireless DMZ. The
> torrent and ICQ connections will need to be bandwidth-managed so that is
> a major consideration for the choice of which firewall to use. Is there
> an equivalent to HTB on FreeBSD?

i believe pf is the most modern and cleanest/easiest syntax to use. it
is actively developed and lots of people use it. You can set up priority
on bandwidth in pf as well, so it should meet all your requirements nicely.

pf will also do the bandwidth management you want. I've used ipfw,
ipf, iptables, and pf; pf is by far the most powerful and easy to use.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--