Hi Bill,Juha , Josh and pabola

Thanks for all your feedback, It gave the best insight  and understanding.

This is what I did , because even after I had removed the quick time using
make config on win32-codecs directory

It was giving me some more errors it it could not find file while
downloading(when I issued make install in
/usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs),

so I went ahead and downloaded manually download win32-codecs.tar.gz  file
from ports directory http://freebsd.org/ports/multimedia website, replaced
with this new win32-codecs.

That made the rest of mplayer  successful.

Then I bumped into the issue  of sound /dev/dsp error I fixed with
reading the

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html(
this I felt is the good help for anyone having sound issues)

did that

# sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
# sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

took care of the sound issue.

(does anyone know how automatically download  the current specific port, I
know portupgrade -a runs, but it runs endlessly forever)

Thanks
Dak

On 1/4/07, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Juha Saarinen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/4/07, Dak Ghatikachalam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dear Freebsd
> >
> > I was trying to make  mplayer and  it spat me on error,  win32
-codecs,
> > and went on trying the clean up the win32-codecs and try to make the
codecs,
> > it still errored out
> >
> > Has anyone faced the same issue,  Please share your thoughts.
> >
> > I am scratching my head, what I should doing about this.
>
> Waiting until the remote code execution security hole is plugged would
> seem to be a sensible thing:
>
> "The Apple Security Team reports that there are multiple
> vulnerabilities within QuickTime (one of the plugins for
> win32-codecs). A remote attacker capable of creating a malicious SGI
> image, FlashPix, FLC movie, or a QuickTime movie can possibly lead to
> execution of arbitrary code or cause a Denial of Service (application
> crash).
>
> Users who have QuickTime (/win32-codecs) as a browser plugin may be
> vulnerable to remote code execution by visiting a website containing a
> malicious SGI image, FlashPix, FLC movie or a QuickTime movie."

You can get mplayer installed safely by deselecting the quicktime codec
during the installation process.  To change it now, do the following:
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs && make config
Then deselect quicktime from the menu and save your change.  Then go
back to building mplayer and it should succeed.

-Bill