Kirk Strauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Monday 08 January 2007 12:04 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Such a report will be incomplete if the system in question is an
> > NIS client.  For starters, see yp(8).
>
> Would "getent passwd" and "getent group" be more definitive?

No idea.  There is no manpage for getent on my (6.1) system, so
I don't know what it might do.  ("apropos getent" finds cgetent(3),
kgetent(3), and tgetent(3), which do not seem likely to be
applicable since they have to do with termcap-style databases.)

Did you maybe mean getpwent(3) and getgrent(3)?  Those don't seem
all that promising either, if you believe the BUGS parts of their
manpages.  For example, from getgrent(3):

   The functions getgrent(), ... are fairly useless in a
   networked environment and should be avoided, if possible.

I would guess that "ypcat passwd" and "ypcat group" might be useful.