On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Erik Trulsson wrote:

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:24:26AM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, John Nielsen wrote:

Apologies for top-posting.

I've made some progress with this, but as I suspected, I'm screwed on
"namespace collision".  I.e. I am unable to load a version of twa.ko that
supports my 3ware card because a previous version of twa.ko that does not
support it is already in the generic kernel.  Changing the name of the
loadable doesn't help, either.

It looks like I might have to make my own release, and my own ISO, using
the driver source from the 3ware site.

Does anyone have an easier way of doing this?

Might some of the following information from 3ware be of help?

http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15003
http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=14850

I saw (and tried) an earlier version of these instructions, basically the issue was that I couldn't LOAD a module because said module was already in the kernel. In this case I don't think such a module is so it might work better, not 100 percent sure.

Well, I'll have to modify them somewhat -- no floppy support here (lame, I know), but perhaps it'll work, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

-Dan

I've already emailed Scott Long asking about the possibility of the
inclusion of the new twa driver in the next FreeBSD, but I fear we're too
far down the release process, so it could be a YEAR before there's a
RELEASE that supports it.

-Dan

You were on the right track with the emergency shell, but the "Fixit" mode
(now included on disk 1 for your convenience) gives you a lot more
flexibility (inclusion of "ls" is just the start!). Have you tried
something like this?

1) Boot to complete install CD
2) Go into "Fixit" mode (not just the emergency shell)
3) # sysctl kern.module_path="/dist/boot/kernel"
4) # kldload twa
5) # exit
6) proceed with installation

This shouldn't be necessary though, since twa is included in GENERIC for
both FreeBSD 6.1 and 6.2 (did you say what version you were trying to
install?).

Now, if your controller is too new to be included in the shipping version
of twa then that's another matter. If you have a binary kernel module that
uses a different driver name from the vendor you could use the same
general
approach, but you'd want to configure your network interface and set up
your NFS mount prior to step 3, and include the appropriate NFS path in
the
sysctl command in step 3.

Forgot to mention you'd also need to manually copy the vendor driver and
modify /boot/loader.conf on the newly installed system so it could actually
boot.. you could easily take care of that from the fixit mode shell after
the
installation, though.

--

"I'll commit ritual suicide before I whore myself out to Disney."

--Emi Bryant
  April 26, 2004
  On the animation industry