On 1/9/07, Oliver Fromme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to write an appropriate CPUTYPE entry for
/etc/make.conf for the following machine:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2799.95-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf41  Stepping = 1
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,
                      SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,
                      DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x441d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,<b14>>
  Logical CPUs per core: 2

I've read the appropriate sections in the make.conf(5)
manpage, /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf and even
/usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk, but they don't really help.

So far I've been using "CPUTYPE=pentium4", but I wonder
if "nocona" would be better, however I'm not sure if my
CPU above qualifies as a nocona one.  I think the main
difference is that nocona supports SSE3, and SSE3 is
indeed listed in the CPU features above, so ...

Does anybody know for sure?  Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards
   Oliver

nocona I believe added 64-bit extensions to the processor. Does your
processor have 64-bit extensions? A better make.conf would be
something like this though:

CPUTYPE?=pentium3
CFLAGS+= -mtune=nocona
COPTFLAGS+= -mtune=nocona

or

CPUTYPE?=pentium3
CFLAGS+= -mtune=prescott
COPTFLAGS+= -mtune=prescott

then use an if endif block to override system wide settings, such as
with this example:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/databases/mysql*}
BROKEN=yes
.endif