        Anybody know if I can do a perl substitution of the scads of
        \x80\x9D to simple double-quotes (") from the command line?

        I've got many HTML files with this strange syntax (must be from
        Windows) that  I'd like to make human-readable for myself.  I
        know how to change s/OLD/NEW/ and make a *.bak of the old using
        perl from the cmd line.  But nothing this obscure.  ---Yes, I have
        scoured some web/perl docs; still fuzzy.

        thanks in advance,

        gary