From: "Dino Vliet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:56 PM
Subject: advice on compiling a new kernel & upgrading to the latest sources

Hi folks,
from different sources I have written my steps to
compile a new kernel & upgrade to the latest sources.
Can anyone have a look into them and tell me if I
won't run into troubles or if there are better ways to
achieve the same?

//snip

The order how things are done is slightly different, I kept the numbers original though,but the sequence is:

12.cd /usr/src
13.make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Reboot after installing the new kernel. New kernel isn't there just after droppping to singleuser, but you need to boot.

11.If the new kernel doesn't boot reboot and hit the
space bar at the boot prompt and boot kernel.old If
the new kernel boots OK mount -a

Check that new kernel acts somewhat sane (some programs might fail though due changed kernel interfaces, like top or ps for example - I do go full multiuser to check this)

14.Go into single user mode
15.cd /usr/src
16.mergemaster -p
17.make installworld
18.mergemaster -i
19.exit and reboot

Shouldn't be need for reboot after this, just hit ctrl-D and enjoy the updated system. Updated scripts are executed only after machine goes into full multiuser.

-Reko