Thanks for all the ways, gents.  (I never thought of tr,
        but now that seems like an option.)  A week+ ago I tried
        perl using 's/\xNN/"/g' from the cmdline, but nojoy.
        The online docs said that \N{xx} would catch a hex character;
        that's what was fuzzy.

        {Very} early this morning I retried using \x80 and
        \x9d, \x9c separately.  diff showed that things worked...
        mostly; then I found more hex characters that I had to
        carefully subs out.  I'll write a script to do the whole
        bunch.

        No wonder I love Unix!

        gary