On 2007-01-14 12:15, Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for all the ways, gents.  (I never thought of tr, but now that
> seems like an option.)  A week+ ago I tried perl using 's/\xNN/"/g'
> from the cmdline, but nojoy.  The online docs said that \N{xx} would
> catch a hex character; that's what was fuzzy.

Watch out for shells with funny 'expansion rules', like csh(1) :)

Even in sh(1) variants, it's always a good idea to save the Perl script
in a file first, and test it independently of the shell, with:

        perl filter.pl < infile > outfile

To avoid all the messy details about single-quotes, double-quotes,
backquotes, stars, dollars, etc :)