linux quest wrote:
I have a problem with the DNS setting in FreeBSD. Every 1 hour, I will not be able to ping google.com (because I need to type in my ISP's DNS into /etc/resolv.conf) May I know what is the best solution for this, so that I do not have to type in my ISP's DNS to the resolver all the time? Perhaps, should I set a static IP configuration? If so, may I know which file should I modify?
Thanks.

Regards, Linux Quest
Hi Mr Linux Quest:

I too have had a significant problem with the service provided by my ISP. Too confuse
the issue, I am new to FreeBSD and Linux thought my ISP was fine.

Ping of anything worked fine but email and any brower were slow making a TCP
connection.  Using tcpdump showed a 10 second wait. Ian Smith made very
helpful suggestions to guide me in solving the problem.

I was surprised to find that dhclient overwrites /etc/resolv.conf since I assumed that programs did not write to /etc. My ISP is apparently misconfigured since the dhcp lease names the router as the nameserver. Fortunately, such problems
can be fixed by modifying /etc/dhclient.conf.  But the first step is to use
command line "whois" to get the real nameserver IP. Example follows.

interface "vr0" {

  prepend domain-name-servers 64.119.104.2;
;;; the above becomes the first line in /etc/resolv.conf

  request  subnet-mask, domain-name,
      domain-name-servers, host-name,
  routers,    broadcast-address,
  dhcp-lease-time,
  dhcp-message-type,
  dhcp-server-identifier,
  dhcp-renewal-time,
  dhcp-rebinding-time;
}
You can look at the lease in /var/db/dhclient.leases.<card name>

Here is /etc/rc.conf
linux_enable="NO"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="intellimouse"
usbd_enable="YES"
ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
hostname="buffy.den.com"
apache_enable="NO"

And /etc/hosts .. not sure what is needed here???
::1            localhost.den.com localhost
127.0.0.1        localhost.den.com localhost
192.168.1.102        buffy.den.com buffy
254.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 192.168.1.254
102.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 192.168.1.102

The hostname gets the fixed address from the
dhcp lease.

regards,
-Bob-

PS:-  Do you have a person name?  "John Doe" ?