On Jan 16, 2007, at 10:43 PM, Bill-Schoolcraft wrote:

Hello Family,

Hmm, in doing installs with more than one install iso (disk-1 and
disk-2) via NFS I'm not clear on the instructions where it states to
simply "copy the FreeBSD distribution files..."

(question)

(A) Would that mean to copy the files from both install disks into one
common directory then export the directory via NFS?

Yes. That's the purpose of NFS installs. Directory heirachy (from the release's directory), needs to be maintained though.

So the base directory would be similar to what's seen in <ftp:// ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386>, where you'd have to create a directory name that matches the release, then download all the items to your subdirectory on the NFS share under the release directory that you want to install (i.e. 6.2-RELEASE/base, etc).

Many people would just download their files from the FTP site and copy it to their NFS share as I described above. That's what the handbook means AFAIK.

(B) Mount each ISO in a loopback then export the two loopbacked ISO's
under each other in an exported parent directory?

TIA

Not possible with the basic FreeBSD installer disk, but maybe it's possible with the FreeBSIE LiveCD, or a custom CD if you build in the relevant stuff for a rescue shell; you'd still need to get at the iso somehow though, and you'd have to make sure that ramdisk (that's the Linux name, but I forgot the FreeBSD name right now?) support in order to mount an ISO image compiled into your kernel.

<snip>

-Garrett