On 1/16/07, Giorgos Keramidas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2007-01-16 15:47, Steve Franks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, this is what I have so for.  It was a bit late at night, so I
appologise
> if my tone is a bit silly at times...where do we go from here?  Steve

[snip nicely written stuff about freezes during installation and first
post install steps]

Fantastic!  This looks like something that would fit quite nicely with
the section ``Installing FreeBSD > Troubleshooting'', in the Handbook.

Do you mind if I integrate this with the section?  Does it look like the
right place for you to write this stuff?  Will you be able to review it
and let me know if it looks ok?

Sounds good to me.

You can read the current Handbook section at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-trouble.html

Hmmm.  Yes, I don't think the current page provides much actual help for
newbies.  Can we make sure to put links to all the appropriate man pages (
i.e. device.hints) in my text when we insert it?  I've found the man online
to be way more useful than I expected for people who are willing to read.
We also could use some driver gurus to make my list of things to disable,
and things to *not* disable both longer and correct - I admit I wrote that
on my windows box, because my laptop bios disables the system (on purpose)
when you put a non-compaq bsd-friendly network card in it.  Go big brother.
This is why I want to get the whole world to run *nix. </soapbox>

Regards,
Giorgos

It occurs to me that a new option on the boot menu of the .iso installer
that opens a  version of this page in links or equiv might be most useful
for newbies (I'm at work, so I can't check if it's <it being a help option>
there already).  It might be useful to point to that doc if the .iso
installer is started in safemode as well.

Steve

--
Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer