When I run:
sudo grep -v '^\;'extentions.conf > new_extentions.conf

I get:
-bash: new_extentions.conf: Permission denied

Sincerely,
Joshua Lewis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Jan 17, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Greg Albrecht wrote:

this might work:

grep -v '^\;' originalfile > newfile

-g

On 17/01/07, Joshua Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a config file that uses  ; as a comment character.
Unfortunately there are soooooooo many comments I can't read the
options that have been enabled.

Can I use grep or another tool to pull all the lines in this file
that do not start with the ; and place them into another file so I
can actually read what this file is doing?

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Joshua Lewis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Greg Albrecht ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
An Indie, Hip Hop and IDM Podcast: The Letter G
http://theletterg.org