Hello:

PF will definitely do what you want via its round-robin and redirect
features.  You would redirect all inbound traffic on port 25 to your
smart host group/table which would then load balance across all of your
servers.  In pf.conf, something like the following, with the
understanding that there are other things you may need to do first
before a pf config will work:

$int_if="em1"  # replace with the interface name from your machine
$ext_if="em0"  # replace with the interface name from your machine

$smart_host_01="192.168.1.1"
$smart_host_02="192.168.1.2"
$smart_host_03="192.168.1.3"
$mail_server_01="10.1.1.1"

table <smtp_roundrobin> persist { \
        $smart_host_01, \
        $smart_host_02, \
        $smart_host_03 \
        }

rdr on $int_if proto tcp from $mail_server_01 to any port 25 ->
<smtp_roundrobin> round-robin

The configuration can become more granular (complex) by including NAT
and ALTQ if you want to do rate-shaping.

Regards,

Mike