On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:11:52AM -0600, Jonathan Horne wrote:

> i realize this is not the powerpc list, but before i go and register for
> yet one more email-list...
>
> last night i was attempting to install 6.2 on a G4 cube i have.  (6.0
> would not install, it would only panic when loading the kernel from the
> install disc).  6.2 seemed to make it all the way to the partition label
> editor, but i could not delete the existing linux partitions.  i would
> like to remove those ext3 partitions, and replace them with the FreeBSD
> default partition setup.  when i hit D, i get a message something like
> "that function is not used here right now" or something to that effect.

I haven't had time to try out a 6.2 yet and don't hae
that hardware anyway.  But, in the part of install _before_
the actual 'partition editor' (eg bsdlabel) which would be
the slice editor (eg fdisk) you have to explicitly delete
those slices to have them available to be included if I
recall properly.     There is an option in the fdisk portion of
things that says something like 'make the whole disk a single FreeBSD
slice' (it might actually still say partition - some errors seem hard
to get rid of).  Anyway, choose that option and also chose making
the slice bootable.  Then go on to creating partitions.

If nothing seems to work, then boot in to the fixit and do:

   dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/ad0 bs=512 count=65

and then start the install over again.

Oh, if you are trying to save some existing slice or partition
information on the drive, that won't work, but your post sounds
like you are trying to make the whole disk be a FreeBSD disk.

////jerry