Gerard Seibert wrote:
On Friday January 19, 2007 at 10:21:24 (AM) Ceri Davies wrote:

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:42:54AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

I think the biggest problem with Microsoft MUAs is not where they
position the cursor, but the difficulty they cause in editing the
text.  My editor also positions the cursor at the very top when I
reply to a message.  But it also makes it possible to tidy things up.
To be fair to Microsoft (or perhaps this makes it even worse), their Mac
development team clearly understand this, as Entourage (the Mac
equivalent of Outlook) doesn't do any of the tens of stupid things that
Outlook does.

Actually, the MS Live Beta version can be configured to place the cursor
at the end when replying.
"Top posting" is only one issue.  Others of great importance are
trimming your posts, not breaking the lines into tiny fragments, and
not writing one-line paragraphs.  Your .sig is a good example of
things that people should remove from replies.

No one needs a 10+ line signature. Perhaps they are compromising for
other shortcomings.
When they are correctly formatted (line-feed,hyphen,hyphen,space), good
MUAs can do this automatically.

I think the problem can be more readily attributed to the theory of
"PEBKC".

There are also patches for Outlook to implement proper quoting and replying.

Ta,
Joe