Hi all,

well this posting is send before, part of, the specific upgrade hint regarding
the iwi0 driver !

now, FreeBSD-6.1-RELENG uses /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware, but after the upgrade
to FreeBSD-6.2-RELENG iwi0 will NOT work, you need to prefetch the port file
/usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware-kmod !! you need to "make fetch" the distfile
"ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz" befor you "make buildworld" or you will not get your Wlan
working if you relay on iwi0 to do your upgrades !!!
after fetching the "ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz" file place it in /usr/ports/distfiles,
rebuild the system to FreeBSD-6.2, install /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware-kmod
with kernel settings:
------------------------
# Wireless NIC cards
options         BRIDGE
device          if_bridge
device          wlan            # 802.11 support
device          wlan_wep        # WEP crypto
device          wlan_ccmp
device          wlan_tkip
device          wlan_xauth
device          wlan_acl
#device         an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
device          awi             # BayStack 660 and others
device          iwi             # Intel/PRO 2915abg miniPCI
device          firmware        # Intel/PRO 2915abg miniPCI load Firmware
device          wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
-------------------------
and you are done !!!

the port "/usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware" is no longer needed, and can be deleted
!!

the rest of this posting is just a step by step way of doing the bulidworld
upgrade....

specially for the novice of you, please read carefully !!

OK, this is a "the step-by-step GUIDE" to do a FreeBSD-RELENG-upgrade +
BUILDWORLD process, using CVSUP

I have seen a lot of "buildworld" questions, and even more tips, on this
news-group and now, finally I provide my "GUIDE" for all FreeBSD-RELENG-X.xx,
builds, patches, ports-upgrades, in hope it will be help full for any one who
still has problems building the system.......... to make a "BUILDWORLD" as
fast, safe and easy as possible using the CVSUP way !
You will find your answer to most of your questions below.........
NOTE !!!
I only pull together and compress all the tips and information's out of
news-groups, BSD-handbook, O'Reilly's publications and most my own
try-and-error experiences. Even if it seams not quite perfect for some
BSD-Gurus, but it happily dose the job for me, highly customised kernel and
564-installed-ports in one go, with out trouble.

I used this steps for years now on all FreeBSD-releng-4.8, 4.9, 4.10, 4.11,
5.4, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 and on all patch levels.
(well 4.x wont's it the old way, but 5.x and 6.x sweeps flawless ahead)
Recently upgraded my Laptop from FreeBSD-6.1-p12 to FreeBSD-6.2 with out any
problems, even with gcc41 for the ports............ promised ;o)

Usually CVSUP the source, fetch the distfiles and e-mails in a pub with WiFi
WLan down the road on my Laptop, have a beer or two, compile, build, install
the rest on the way home and over night if needed.
No joke, I have no DSL, ISDN or phone at home but it works sweet for me,
beer taste better than a phone bill ;o) and keeps my system up-to-date as well.

Now to make it even more convenience to fetch it all, using "fastest_cvsup" for
the source is a treat, but to keep it simple in this "guide" I'll only describe
the basic way. (at the end of this mail you'll find a small script to CVSUP
with "fatetest_cvsup") any way ;o)

Over all, a "buildworld" or "upgrade" with this guide will only work if your
config files are OK before you carry on to follow this "guide": !!
Make sure the following files are looked over and work sweet !!!!
you'll run in to a lot of error messages, if not crafted carefully to suit your
machine!!
you have to tweak this files first, to match your system, before you even can
think about calling a buildworld-step out of this guide !!!
build a customs kernel first and you get in to it.
If your machine boots up with your own kernel, give it a go........

/etc/make.conf
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/YOUR-KERNEL-FILE
/etc/standard-supfile
/etc/ports-supfile

### STEP-BY-STEP the stupid way, but easy as that "1+2=3a" or "1+2=3b"
............ ;o)
###
### 1.) FETCHING SRC-SOURCE BY CVSUP, CLEANING SYSTEM AND RUNNING BUILDWORLD !!
### 2.) BOOT UP IN SINGLE MODE, MERGEMASTER AND INSTALLWORLD !!
### 3-a.) use for: RELEASE-PATCH-UPGRADE + DAILY-PORTS-UPGRADE AND FINISH !!
### 3-b.) or use for: FULL-RELEASE-UPGRADE + FULL-PORTS-UPGRADE AND FINISH !!
###
### BUILDWORLD PROCESS WITH CVSUP:
### "guide" for system upgrade:
### all action as "root" or "su" to root   ;o)
###----------------------
### 1.) FETCHING SRC SOURCE BY CVSUP, CLEANING SYSTEM AND RUNNING BUILDWORLD:

# cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/standard-supfile   ### (you need to be online for this one
to fetch the "source")

# cd /usr/obj

# chflags -R noschg *

# rm -rf *

# cd /usr/src

# make cleanworld

# make buildworld

# make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR-KERNEL-FILE

# make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR-KERNEL-FILE

# reboot

###----------------------
### 2.) BOOT UP IN SINGLE MODE, MERGEMASTER AND INSTALLWORLD !!!

# hit the <space-key> if boot up delay counter starts !!

# boot -s

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a
# cd /usr/src
# adjkerntz -i

# cd /usr/src

# mergemaster -p    ### pre-buildworld mode, only essential files !

# make installworld

# make delete-old

# cp -Rp /etc /etc.old

# mergemaster -cv   ### do all changes as needed, take your time and think,
redo every step if unsure !!! ... or you can hack the files by hand ....

# reboot

###-----------------------
### 3-a.) use FOR RELEASE-PATCH-UPGRADE, DAILY-PORTS-UPGRADE AND FINISH !!
### BOOT UP IN NORMAL MODE, PORTS UPGRADE AND FINISH !!!

### open a "xterm" if running in X11

# su

# Password:

# uname -a

# cd /usr/src

# make delete-old-libs

# make clean

# cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/ports-supfile   ### (you need to be online for this one to
fetch the "ports collection")

# cd /usr/ports

# make fetchindex       ### (or "make index" but takes time)

# portupgrade -rRaF   ### (you need to be online for this one to fetch the
"distfiles" SKIP THIS STEP IF PERMANENT ONLINE)

# portupgrade -rRa     ### (you can go offline for this one now)

### RESTART X11 and/or boot !!! FINISHED :o)

###-----------------------
### 3-b.) FOR FULL-RELEASE-UPGRADE, AND FULL-PORTS-UPGRADE AND FINISH !!!
### (AFTER RELEASE UPGRADE) -> after FreeBSD upgrade from 5.4 to 5.x, 6.x or
newer !!

# cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/ports-supfile   ### (you need to be online for this one to
fetch the "ports collection")

# cd /usr/ports

# make fetchindex       ### (or "make index" but takes time)

# portupgrade -rRafF   ### (you need to be online for this one to fetch the
"distfiles" SKIP THIS STEP IF PERMANENT ONLINE)

# portupgrade -afk     ### (you can go offline for this one now)

# pkgdb -uf && cd /usr/ports/lang/pyton && make upgrade-side-packages

# pkgdb -F

# reboot

### FINISHED :o)

### my "/etc/cvsup-new" script called out of my X11 BlackBox-menu and for daily
use:
[submenu] (CVS upgrade...) {}
                        [exec] (cvs-new) {sudo -S xterm -e /etc/cvs-new}
                        [exec] (cvs src) {sudo -S xterm -e cvsup
/etc/standard-supfile}
                        [exec] (cvs ports) {sudo -S xterm -e cvsup
/etc/ports-supfile}
                        [exec] (cvs doc) {sudo -S xterm -e cvsup
/etc/doc-supfile}
                        [exec] (fetch portupgrade) {xterm -sb -pob -e sudo -S
portupgrade -rRaF}
                        [exec] (portupgrade -rRa) {xterm -sb -pob -e sudo -S
portupgrade -rRa}
                        [exec] (pkgdb -F) {xterm -sb -pob -e sudo -S pkgdb -F}
                [end]

---"/etc/cvsup-new"-----------------------------
#!/bin/sh
if SERVER=`fastest_cvsup -q -c uk,dk,de`; then
  cvsup -h $SERVER /etc/standard-supfile
fi

if SERVER=`fastest_cvsup -q -c uk,dk,de`; then
  cvsup -h $SERVER /etc/ports-supfile
fi

good luck.... have fun......... ;o)

PS.
I'm not listening to "stupid destructive critics" ...... winching and carrying
on playing with M$-WinVirus on there own !!! .........
But I'll be open for constructive tips, tweak this GUIDE to enrich the way of
FreeBSD for every one !!! ......
thanks ;o)
XXX
Hanno Krusken