Thanks for all of your replies,

Now I can do it through recompiling the kernel and the limits did increase. I haven't tried whether it can increase over 2G (I would love that if it can!). The code I used cannot be easily changed to reduce memory consumption but I think 2G would probably be enough for some time. Indeed, I found the max value I could set is 2048*1024*1024-1, bigger than that will result in a negative value shown by "limit".

You can also tune this at boot time by adding them to the file
/boot/loader.conf. e.g.

kern.maxdsiz="(256*1024*1024)"
I added this (though it was actually 1024*1024*1024) to /boot/loader.conf and also /boot/defaults/loader.conf, and booted the GENERIC kernel. The limits were still the old ones (i.e.512M). It did not work I don't know why, but I am already happy as recompiling kernel worked anyway.

The final problem now becomes: Initially I made the swap partition to be 1GB and there is no more free partition on my harddisk. This value now actually becomes the bottleneck. Repartitioning will lose all my data and also applications installed, and thus is very high cost operation. Is there any easy way to increase the swap partition ? Say, add one more harddisk(need to tell the OS?)? For me, the easiest way I prefer is to use a file (under /usr say, as I have lots of space there) associated with a disk device by vnconfig for the swapping. It seems not difficult to do so. By looking at /etc/rc, I noticed the following:

# Add additional swapfile, if configured.
#
case ${swapfile} in
[Nn][Oo] | '')
;;
*)
if [ -w "${swapfile}" -a -c /dev/vn0b ]; then
echo "Adding ${swapfile} as additional swap"
vnconfig -e /dev/vn0b ${swapfile} swap
fi
;;
esac

The swapfile will be associated as an additional swap device (i.e./dev/vn0b which does exist in my system). But I didn't find where the variable ${swapfile} is set. Do you know ?

I tried adding one line "swapfile=/usr/someone/swap1" and created a file /usr/someone/swap1 with vi editor by typing some characters in. Then boot the system, I saw the booting message said:

Adding /usr/someone/swap1 as additional swap
vnconfig:
swapon
:
Device not configured:
Doing intial network setup

I am not sure if it actually already worked or not.

Thanks!

Frank