On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:53:20 -0800 Garrett Cooper wrote:

>       One good reason I can think of is to partition (not the tech definition
> but the traditional definition, "to divide") filesystems such that if
> one person fills up "/", it won't cause a program that needs to write to
> "/var" or "/tmp" problems, which in the case of "/var" can bring down
> entire systems and infrastructures (happened before where I was working
> as IT when a CUPS server ran out of space on /var).

That is a good point.

>       Other than that.. not really sure. Maybe some of the older guard on the
> list know why.

Actually, you don't really have to be that old to understand the
reasons. They still apply today as they did "back then".

I know the main reason that speaks against the concept - I was a young
too you know. :-) It's the reluctance of deciding how much space to
allocate to a certain system. What happens if I need more in /usr and I
have given /var too much. If you only have one big filesystem / you
don't have *this* problem, as the amount of space you have can be
shifted freely according to the current need. But in following this
concept you also buy in a few other problems. Remember that one of the
foundations of Unix is security and the idea that one user can't screw
up the system for all others.

Regards
Chris