On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
Hey all.

In trying to tweak my firewall setup I'm using a file called /etc/ipfw.rules

However, it seems even though I copy my rules perfectly to that file, the system freezes up and locks me out when I do:

/usr/share/examples/ipfw/change_rules.sh?

That is a very cool script, however, it appears as though it calls firewall_script on line 131 with "sh", not with ipfw.

nohup sh ${firewall_script} ${firewall_type}.new

Whereas, etc/rc.firewall calls ipfw on line 299 via the "ipfw" command:

${fwcmd} ${firewall_flags} ${firewall_type}

The difference is that the resulting rules file would not be parseable by "sh" since the lines in the file would not contain the "ipfw" command but only the arguments. As one's in "examples" and the other's in a live startup script, I'd assume the latter to be the correct method.

That said, this still does not tell me why a subsequent flush-and-rerun isn't working via ssh. It works totally fine via the command line, but over ssh it gives:

Jan 24 19:10:55 ads-bsh-fwa4 sshd[845]: fatal: Write failed: Permission denied on the console (but by that point my connection's already dropped).

However, this shouldn't actually stop an already-typed command, should it?

Additionally, it doesn't appear that /etc/rc.firewall has the smarts to do this, as the "stop" command it lists only disables the kernel firewall structure via sysctl, but does NOT flush the rules, pipes, counts, or the like, so it's not a true "restart". (the idea being that otherwise, every rule will be added twice -- the flush is a necessary step there).

Even if I add the "flush" command directly to /etc/ipfw.rules, and run ipfw -f /etc/ipfw.rules right from the command line, my connection gets dropped and the rest of the commands do not run.

In experimenting a bit more, I've found that I can do:

nohup ipfw -f /etc/ipfw.rules

This allows the rest of the ipfw command to run, but the HUP-on-disconnect still doesn't explain why the command doesn't even finish running.

-Dan

--

"What's with the server farm down in the basement?"

-Spider, Three Skulls Commons at Selden House, 4/15/00