Oliver Iberien wrote:
In the FAQ, under 9.2, "How to I move my system over to my huge new disk?", it says: "The best way is to reinstall the OS on the new disk, then move the user data over." By "user data", does that mean /usr as a whole?

It sounds like this would mean (for me, running 6.0/KDE at the moment), putting a (minimal?) install of 6.2 on the new drive, getting the peripherals and drivers sorted out, then using dump to move the contents of the old /usr to the new /usr. That can't really be it -- can it? And how does KDE fit into this -- can I just activate kdm after having transferred /usr over?

Thanks,

Well, if you're going to be migrating things, why not do this in two parts, and make sure your source and target systems are at the same OS revision level?

That'll catch out some problems you might not realize are there.

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University