Hello!

I'm currently running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE (amd64) on a system based on Intel SE7230NH1-E motherboard, which has Intel ICH7R integrated softraid. The machine has two 500 GB drives which are configured as RAID1 in BIOS. Unfortunately, this setup seems to have some stability issues which I can't figure out how to solve. Specifically, when the storage subsystem is put under heavy load (such as doing nightly backups) the kernel starts spitting out horrible error messages such as:

FAILURE - out of memory in ata_raid_init_request
g_vfs_done():ar0s1f[WRITE(offset=8091172864, length=16384)]error = 5
FAIg_vfs_done():ar0LURE - out of memsory in ata_raid_1init_reqfu[eWsRItTE(o
ffset=8091F1A8I9LU2R4E8 ,-  oleuntg tohf= 16m3e8m4o)ry]e rirno ra t=a 5
_raid_init_requestg
vfs_done():ar0s1f[WRITE(offsFAeItL=UR8E0 9-1 2o05u6t3 2o,f lmeengmtoh=ry1 6i3n8 4a)t]ae_rrraoird _=in i5t

If it looks like garbage, then yes, this is how it appears in /var/log/messages. I'm seriously afraid that similar corruption is sneaking into important user files.

Only thing I can think of is converting this setup from BIOS-based RAID to gmirror. This would involve, I think, modifying /etc/fstab so that it references ad4 instead of ar0, then permanently breaking the mirror in BIOS, booting up the system with single disk and then basically following the gmirror chapter in the handbook. Correct?

I'm also a little uncertain about "permanently breaking the mirror" part. I've read all the motherboard and LSI docs I can find and this topic isn't covered anywhere. Some googling seems to hint that it can be done, but nothing too definitive. If anyone happens to have the exact configuration menu map for Intel Matrix RAID (LSI Megaraid V3) as it appears on SE7230NH1-E motherboard, it would be appreciated. Or if anyone can suggest what to do to fix the system without converting to gmirror, then that, of course, would also be appreciated.

--
Toomas