On 2/1/07, Fabian Keil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Andrew Falanga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A couple of months ago I wrote a daemon process that opens up
connections on
> TCP and listens for incoming data (that ultimately ends up in a
database).
> Now, when I was writing it, I was debugging and what not under my own
user
> id.  However, the program now runs as root because it's started
> automatically when the system comes up at boot time.

That alone doesn't sound like a particular good reason to me.

> Now, here's the strange part.  When running under my user id, even in
daemon
> mode, ps -aux | grep <user> would show me the daemon process.  However,
now
> that it's running as root, it doesn't.

Does ps -aux really no longer list the process,
or does it get lost after the grep?

Fabian

I do not believe so.  When I did the same ps | grep command when running
the program under my userid, I would see matches for both the program and
for the grep.

Andy