On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:57:29AM -0500, Kris Maglione wrote:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:07:58AM +0530, Gobbledegeek wrote:
I  noticed  over the past few weeks, that  after  installing  numerous
packages (pkg_add  -r),  I could not execute them  (not  found). They
were standard  packages installed in the standard locations like
/usr/local/bin or sbin (already in $PATH).  Running ldconfig, logging
out and  logging back in did not help either.  *Rebooting*  helps
however.

The problem is that csh does not recheck your $PATH, but only hashes it once. You can get it to rehash by running the aptly named `rehash` command, or starting a new shell. ldconfig has nothing to do with locating executables.

Sorry, I missed the part about logging out and back in before. In that case, this is a strange issue.

Have you varified that the executables exist and are executable when you try them? Are you sure that you've typed them correctly? Have you tried entering the entire paths of the executables? Are any of the executables scripts with initial shebang (#!) lines, and, if so, do the targets of the lines exist?