On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Chuck Swiger wrote:

Tore Lund wrote:
The thing that should never, ever happen did happen yesterday.  I lost a
file and was not able to recover it.  ROX-filer said NewFile where I
should have seen a familiar filename.
[ ... ]
My question is whether I could have done anything else to make FreeBSD
correct the goof it had made.

Sure. People normally make backups of the data they care about in order to avoid losing that data if a problem happens.

(I don't know what ROX-filer is, but it's not part of FreeBSD.)

--
-Chuck

Rox filer should be in ports; it's a file manager that some use to take care of
their files.

Chuck's right though--you should back up your data regularly if it's mission
critical.
-Garrett