> Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [Please wrap your lines around 72 characters or so]
>
> > Dear sir;
> > I have a Unix BSD server, and i want to adjust the time of the server
> > so i have used the following command:
> > $ sudo date 0702050402
> > and the output is:
> > Mon Feb 5 04:02:00 EET 2007
> > and when typing date command again, i have got the following output:
> > Mon Feb 5 09:38::51 EET 2007
> > so would you please, tell me how can i fix the time (note: i am using
> > the root)
> > Thank you for your attention.
>
> You are doing it correctly. Is it possible that you have something running
> that is changing the time? (ntp, perhaps).
>
> What happened between the time you set the time and when it reset itself?
>
> Also, check your system's securelevel setting, which will prevent manual
> time changes (or limit them to 1s). See the man page for date and
> securelevel.
>
> Dear Mr. Bill Moran;
>   it is right, my securelevel is 2 but when i try to lower it, i get the
> message operation not permitted
>   i did it as follow:
>   $sudo sysctl -w kern.securelevel=-1
>   THE RESULT IS AS FOLLOW:
>   kern.securelevel: 2
>   sysctl: kern.securelevel: Operation not permitted
>   So, would you please tell me how can i change the securelevel in order
> to change the time and then set it (the securelevel) back.
>   Thank you for your attention.

It is considered rude to take discussions off the mailing list unless it
has been agreed upon beforehand -- I have added [EMAIL PROTECTED] back
in to the CC.  Additionally, top-posting is discouraged on these mailing
lists.  I have corrected the format and responded in-line below.
Additionally, you seemed to have ignored my request to format your emails
better by wrapping your lines.

In any event, you can't lower the securelevel on a running system -- that
would defeat the purpose.  Modify the setting in /etc/rc.conf and reboot
your system.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.