After I upgraded xorg with pkg_add -r, I got this error when trying to start it on display :1, vt9, alongside my current session:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: KDSETMODE KD_GRAPHICS failed

The previous package was linked against libc.so.5, the new is against libc.so.6. The server is mode 6711 and I've tried running it as root, also.

It's possible that the libc.so.6 is using newer headers than the kernel, and I've built and installed a new kernel, but am reluctant to restart without knowing that I'll have a usable X server. Can anyone shed any light on the nature of the error message?

I'm running:
FreeBSD laptop 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #5: Sat Jul 1 04:01:54 EDT 2006