On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Don Munyak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was tweaking the /etc/rc.conf file and apparently had a typo. Now
> the system boots into single user mode. I know what my error is
>
> syslogd_enable=YES"  {left off the first "}
>
> How can I edit rc.conf while in single user mode. I've tried vi & ee,
> but system doesn't recognize either.

It is probably not in your limited path in single user or not
in a mounted partition.

You may have to mount the partition containing 'vi', probably /usr.

While in single user, do:
  fsck -p
  mount -u /
  mount -a
  swapon -a

Then you should be able to use vi as:

  /usr/bin/vi /etc/rc.conf

using the full path for vi skips over putting it in your path.
Make your fix and reboot.

////jerry