I have an Epson Stylus C43SX and have made it print PostScript
through the following filter using GIMP Print and Ghostscript:

# /usr/local/libexec/ps2eps.sh
gs -DSAFER -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=ijsgimpprint \
   -sDeviceManufacturer=EPSON -sDeviceModel=escp2-c42sx \
   -DIjsUseOutputFD -q -sOutputFile=- -DNOPAUSE -DBATCH - \
  && exit 0

Also, to turn on extended mode for my local lpt0 I use this:

lptcontrol -e /dev/lpt0

Yuri