On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:22:07 +0000 Robert Inder wrote:

 > I asked for help because I was getting an out-of-date version of
 > portupgrade --- 2.1.3 instead of 2.2.2 --- even though I had usedn
 > portsnap.

 >     > Subject: Re: Portsnap and port versions
 >
 >     :
 >     :
 >
 >     > To see if your index is out of date, compare the output of:
 >
 >     >     cd /usr/ports
 >     >     make search name=portindex
 >
 >     > with
 >
 >     >    cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
 >     >    make -V PKGNAME
 >
 > BINGO!!!  I was installing sysutils/portupgrade.
 >
 > I knew that portupgrade was in sysutils, so I went straight to it and
 > used it...
 >
 > It didn't occur to me that there might be ANOTHER sysutils somewhere
 > else in the ports tree.
 >
 > But there was, and the one in ports-mgmt had been updated by
 > portsnap, so when I installed in THERE...

That seems odd, actually.  I did a portsnap fetch then portsnap update
yesterday (albeit for 5-STABLE), which deleted a bunch of moved ports,
including sysutils/portupgrade, as well as adding the ports-mgmt ones.

I did have to do what Matthew and others have suggested, frankly a bit
more helpful to me than the 20070205: clue in /usr/ports/UPDATING ..

    # pkgdb -F
    # pkg_delete portupgrade-\*
    # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
    # make install

.. but that was after noticing that pkgdb -F was already whinging that
it couldn't chdir to /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade, so I'm surprised
that portsnap fetch plus portsnap update hadn't deleted it for you too?

 >     > Then use portupgrade as usual to upgrade whatever else you want to.
 > Yup!

Cheers, Ian