> Hi there :-)
> I just installed FreeBSD 6.2 and during the setup process I setup my
> network card. Now I did this twice, first time when setting up my card
> I gave the hostname 'mylan' thinking I could put almost anything in
> there - now when the machine booted just after starting sshd I get

Format recovered.  See:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html

> My unqualified host name (mylan) unknown; sleeping for retry.
>
> and this would make the system wait for about 2-3 minutes as it tried
> to more times.
>
> So I reinstalled and this time set the hostname to localhost.... same
> thing happens..
>
> not sure what is should be to get rid of this error.

It should be an actual fully-qualified hostname that is in DNS:
http://foldoc.org/index.cgi?query=fqdn&action=Search

If you don't have access to DNS to set your hostname properly, you can
use a garbage name and add it to /etc/hosts and the delays will go away.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.