Tillman Hodgson wrote:

If that still holds true in the -current src, the second mount will
*definitely* cause me backup problems. I may have to move to keeping the
NFS export always mounted, which is not ideal.

Could you use something like ssh to transfer the files rather than needing NFS? (I don't know if you mentioned what the NFS-end box was...).

(local gzip)

sbin/dump $LEVEL -a -C 64 $CHECKPOINT $UPDATE $UPDATEFILE -f - $filesystem | \
               gzip -9 | \
               /usr/local/bin/ssh -z -i ${keyfile}

(remote gzip)

/sbin/dump $LEVEL -a -C 64 $CHECKPOINT $UPDATE $UPDATEFILE -f - $filesystem | \
               /usr/local/bin/ssh -z -i ${keyfile} \
               "umask 337; gzip -9 > /backup/$ii"

I'm also not clear why you think that keeping the NFS partition mounted all the time is so bad. If there is no access then surely the overhead is minimal.

Your other alternative is to use lockfiles to control when things get mounted/unmounted. If the control file is locked, you wait until it's unlocked (or bomb with an error, whatever). Trivial in perl, and lockf(1) looks like the way to go with shell.


freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to