On 2/13/07, Gerard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday February 13, 2007 at 01:42:23 (PM) pete wright wrote:

> how would you define "correct"?  have all systems boot with a SMP
> kernel by default so that machines with multiple processors
> automatically detect all available CPU's?  then what about all the
> users that are using uni-proc systems?
>
> i think the current state of building a system w/o SMP enabled is
> great.  it's not that hard to do a:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=SMP
> make installkernel KERNCONF=SMP
> reboot
>
> this is all covered in the FreeBSD handbook, which all new
> admin's/users should be reading and following closely anyway ;)

It is also a hugh waste of time. Doing the initial system installation,
there should be an option at the very least to enable SMP. Installing
a system, then having to rebuilt and and reinstall it again if counter
productive.

The market is moving toward multiple CPUs. The FBSD installation routine
should embrace that reality and afford it the proper consideration that
it deserves.

hmm...didn't realize that not loading a SMP kernel by default would
turn people away from running FreeBSD.  building a kernel is much
different from reinstalling a system though...

OT, but - I know a fair amount of locations will have a custom kernel,
and most large sites will script sysinstall to load a custom kernel as
well.  yet, for "junior" admins maybe a boot time option allow one to
load a SMP kernel during the install phase (which would also be the
kernel the system boot's from after installation) may be helpfull.
There are currently options to disable ACPI (granted that's a .ko) but
perhaps there is precedent to do this.

anyway, sounds like a good PR :)

-pete

--