I had heard the "automounter" could accomplish this as well when I was
researching the same topic, but never got around to trying it (had
major problems with a raid driver instead)
Steve

On 2/14/07, Daniel Rudy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At about the time of 2/13/2007 10:58 AM, Chuck Swiger stated the following:
> On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:47 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> How can I turn off the HDD? .. and leave the buffers in the memory,
>> until the RAM is full .. then spin up the drive, write out the
>> data, then it turn off again.
>
> ENOTSUPPORTED, at least with FreeBSD.  Note that Apple has done a lot
> of work to facilitate drive spindown for power-saving reasons for
> their laptops, so MacOS X will make a reasonable attempt to spindown
> the drives until really needed....

There is a port called ataidle that you may want to look at.  It
programs the HDD to spin down after a specified timeout.

--
Daniel Rudy

Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer