On 2/14/07, Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        I'm pretty stunned at how well gnome2 works on my
        antique 400MHz backup system.  [[ gnome2-lite wouldn't go, for
        some reason.... [?] ]]  Anyway, I do have a sound card in this
        one, but which *.ko I load or compile is the question.  If
        memory serves, I think this has  a Matrox card.  I've tried
        adding a few sound [snd_*.ko] files, but no sound.  The OSS
        dialogs open, but the tests produce no sound..  Would the sound
        card show up in dmesg if there were a sound card hiding?

        Any help out there?  This old box is an HP Kayak "XU/XW".

I solved most of my sound problems by taking actions reading

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

regards
Dak

       thanks,